MY BLOG HAS MOVED!

YOU SHOULD BE AUTOMATICALLY REDIRECTED IN 6 SECONDS. IF NOT, VISIT
thatcortniegirl.com
AND UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS!

Monday, January 16

Sexual Labels & Fluidity



This post is mostly going to be a blurb of nonsense, so be prepared.

I need to talk about sexual fluidity and sexual labels. I'll be specifically talking about women, because that's the area that I have the most experience with, considering I am a woman!

To begin, I'd like to talk about the Kinsey Scale. Hate me all ya want, but I think a scale of some sort is better than three simple labels of: straight, bisexual or gay.


0 Exclusively heterosexual

1 Predominantly heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual

2 Predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual

3 Equally heterosexual and homosexual

4 Predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual

5 Predominantly homosexual, only incidentally heterosexual

6 Exclusively homosexual

X Non-sexual


In regards to this scale, I would label myself somewhere in the range of 3 and 5. That's the downside from even having this scale.. I can't say that I'm equally hetero and homo and I also can't say that I'm incidentally heterosexual.. I don't know, it's confusing. Why should I even have to explain myself?

So, anyway.. what happens when a woman in particular is sexually fluid? What if a woman who has always labeled themselves as straight suddenly finds themselves attracted to a woman? Does this make her gay or bisexual? Or is she still straight? What does this say about the woman that she likes? Does this mean the woman that she likes has masculine or male-dominated qualities... does the woman think of her as a man..? That's doubtful, but it does make you think, doesn't it?

I blame all of these stupid ass questions on our culture's need to label EVERYTHING. Things can't just be the way they are.. we have to always have labels. It's been researched that women are more interested in being with a person, while men are more interested in gender and sex. This concept gets confusing and I do not by any means support or believe statistics like that, it just further feeds more into stupid stereotypes.

So what was the point in this post? I'm not sure, it's kind of a regurgitation of shit, which I apologize for. 

What do you all think about this topic?

xoxo
CORTNIE 

No comments:

Post a Comment