MY BLOG HAS MOVED!

YOU SHOULD BE AUTOMATICALLY REDIRECTED IN 6 SECONDS. IF NOT, VISIT
thatcortniegirl.com
AND UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS!

Friday, March 2

What is Overweight?

Okay, everyone. First, I need to apologize. I know I've missed a few posts but let me tell you that it's for good reason! Remember some of those changes I mentioned a week or so ago? Well, not posting everyday is one of those changes. There are a few reasons behind this, though, so let me explain. I have a lot happening right now. Between school coming to an end and work being busy, I have close to no time to devote to blogging every day. Because of how busy I've been, it's been feeling like a chore and I never want that. EVER. So. I want to relax a bit so that every post can be loved and appreciated. :)

ALSO, I've gotten accepted for a grant to go to the National Conference for College Women Student Leaders at the end of May, so you'll be hearing a bit about that sometime.

ANYWAY. ONTO THE FAT!
Something I want to ask everyone is, what does it mean to be overweight? When you think of someone being overweight you think of them being big, but not too terribly big, not OBESE or anything right? But who says what the right weight is? What if the weight that I currently am is just a little bit over my natural weight, so according to doctors I may be considered obese, but I could just as easily be a tad overweight in regards to my specific body. Does that make sense? Overweight for one person could and IS completely different in comparison to the idea of being overweight to another person. Who says what weight we're supposed to be? How do we know what's right? If I feel healthy and okay at my weight, then why can't I just be considered normal? Are weight issues just another one of the tools used to discriminate against people, specifically women? If I'm healthy, why do people stare at me and tell me to lose weight? What do you all think?

I know it wasn't a big post, but I want everyone to think about that. Think about it this weekend when you're out with your friends. Think about how there is an industry that has TONS of money to make people want to lose weight, but no one is supposed to gain it. That means that fat people are disgusting and that means that I'm not supposed to love myself. Well, screw that. While you're out, look at that fat person. Look them in the eye, don't stare at their stomach or their ass or legs. Look at them and remember that they are brave. They've been dealing with hatred their whole life, you recognize that. Appreciate them. You could learn something from them. I leave you with this gem.



xoxo
CORTNIE

No comments:

Post a Comment